This is a two-bedroom cottage believed to be the original bake house for the Manor and has beamed ceilings and the original cloam oven still in situ. There is a colour television, DVD player and stereo provided with a selection of DVDs and CDs. There is a well-equipped modem kitchen with built in electric cooker and fridge with icebox as well as a microwave.
French doors open on to a large south-facing patio with patio furniture and is bounded by the stream that feeds the pond. The stairs lead to a double bedroom, a twin bedded room and a modem bathroom with a full size bath with a shower over. A cot and high chair can also be provided for infants.
These are a group of three self catering cottages - Mallard's, Brambles and Otter's - situated in a truly rural location but just half a mile from the Bideford to Okehampton road. The renowned Tarka Trail is only 500m away which is a public footpath/cycle path built on the bed of the disused Okehampton to Barnstaple railway line. It follows the course of the River Torridge for much of it's length and joins up with the North Devon Coast Path at Bideford and Barnstaple.
The cottages are situated on the edge of a Shire Horse Washing pond and used to be part of the Smytham Manor Estate. This pond and the surrounding area are home to a myriad to of wildlife including our own breeding pair of Moorhens and more recently a family of Mallards.
The cottages have been converted from agricultural buildings to modern high standards yet retain a lot of their original features and charm like exposed woodwork and stonework. They are all centrally heated and have an excellent range of facilities including bathrooms with full size baths and showers. They also have modern well-equipped kitchens with sufficient equipment and cutlery etc for at least the number of occupants.
All bed linen and towels, with the exception of beach towels, are provided free of charge as is the central heating and electricity. Regrettably we have to make a small additional charge if you want to bring your pet with you.
The reception area/utility room is equipped with a washing machine, tumble drier and freezer. When reception is not manned the owners can be contacted on a free call on the payphone. Also to be found in the reception is the tools for the barbeque, though some fuel for this is provided guests are requested to replace what they use for the benefit of others. You will also find here a variety of games equipment.
The pond is fenced from the cottages to increase the safety for children and a play area is provided with swings and a seesaw etc. A picnic table is provided in the grounds for the use of guests.
STAR RATING: 4
Type of Property: Converted historic farm building in rural setting
Location: EX38 8pt
Heating: GAS CENTRAL HEATING & electric fires
Outside: CAR PARKING, patio, children's play area, wildlife pond, bbq
Facilities: Full size bath with shower over, electric cooker, microwave, digital tv, stereo, freezer, washing machine / dryer in utility room,
WI-FI on request
Ideal for: communing with nature, walking, cycling, exploring the area
CONTACT US DIRECT
These three cottages are in a truly rural setting, approached by narrow country lanes some with grass in the middle of the road. On clear nights the stars are clearly visible. Robins, mallards and rabbits are your neighbours. We hope to provide as much access information as possible here but if you have any questions do please call us. We look forward to your visit.
· We are family run with all enquiries/bookings handled by us.
· For an early check-in please contact us direct.
· Enquiries/bookings can be made by email or phone.
· Detailed directions with maps and pictures of cottages are sent out with confirmation of booking to all our guests.
· Tesco and Sainsbury’s will deliver groceries to you if ordered on line. For this and your satellite navigation system, the postcode is EX38 8PT.
· The nearest train station is 15 miles away in Barnstaple with a rural bus link onto Torrington and beyond.
· The nearest bus stop is approx ¾ mile away.
· This access statement is available on our website and in the Welcome pack in the cottages.
ARRIVAL and PARKING
· Approach is via a single track lane to a gravelled open area in front of the cottages.
· This is a ‘No through road’.
· There is ample parking in front of the cottages, with no designated spaces.
· Please park thoughtfully to allow others to use this parking area.
· Cottage names are all visible from the parking area.
· There is a paviour pathway immediately adjacent to the cottages. This links the outdoor patio areas which are all light at night.
· We try and meet all our visitors at around 4.00pm with a Cream Tea.
MAIN ENTRANCE & GROUND FLOOR
· These cottages can be left open for your arrival by arrangement.
· There are two external door entrances to each cottage, the main front door and double French doors that open out onto the patios to the rear of each cottage.
· The key for this property is kept in a key safe.
· All doors are accessed over a small threshold into the carpeted living area.
· MALLARDS is open plan on the ground floor with a small step down to the kitchen area.
· OTTERS is open plan and level throughout.
· BRAMBLES has a separate kitchen area and is level throughout.
· Stairs are carpeted and rise to the first floor with a ‘dog leg’ turn of 90 degrees at different levels in each cottage.
· Handrail on one side.
· The Welcome packs with all the details for the cottages are on the coffee tables in the lounge area.
· All bedrooms are on this floor, no sleeping accommodation is available on the ground floor.
· MALLARDS- one double bedroom and one twin room. Room for cot only in the double bedroom.
· OTTERS – one double bedroom and one twin room. Room for a cot only in the double bedroom.
· BRAMBLES – one double bedroom, one twin room and one bunk room with ‘full size’ bunks. Room for cot only in the bunk room.
· All the bathrooms are on the first floor. There are no downstairs toilet or bathroom facilities.
· Modern suite with bath and ‘over bath’ shower.
· Electric shaver point and heated towel rail.
· Wooden floors.
· Bathrooms are lit by down lighters.
· There is a washing machine, tumble dryer, deep freeze and dishwasher here for all the cottages to share.
· There is no extra charge for the use of any of these facilities.
· There is a land line telephone as mobile reception here is variable and not reliable.
· We can be contacted for free from this phone in case of any problems at the properties.
GROUNDS & GARDENS
· In front of the cottages there is a large grassed play and picnic area with swings etc. and a Wendy house.
· To the rear of all the cottages there are individual patio areas with table and chairs and parasols. These are concrete paviour.
· There is also a small lawned area which is fenced and gated from the pond.
· The pond is deep and NOT suitable to fish, bathe or swim in. This is home to ducks and moorhens etc.
· Beyond the pond there is a large grassed area for ball games.
· There is a built-in barbecue and picnic benches and tables.
· This area is NOT safe for small children to play unsupervised as the pond is not fenced here.
· There is a rotary clothes line in this area to dry your clothes outdoors.
· We ask that you vacate the property by 10.00am.
· Keys to the properties can be left by arrangement with us on your day of departure.
· Keys can be left in the key safe.
· A Welcome pack is provided in all our properties.
· Manufacturer’s instructions and our tips to help you operate TV, central heating etc. are also provided.
· We provide information leaflets for local attractions.
· Mains smoke detectors in each cottage.
· There is poor/unreliable mobile reception.
· Pets are permitted at these properties but the area is ‘open plan’ and there are no fenced spaces to let your dog roam unsupervised!
We discourage smoking inside these cottages.