Coachman's is Cream Tea Cottages' smallest self catering cottage and is situated through an archway in a cobbled courtyard in the grounds of Monkleigh village's old rectory, parts of which date back over 400 years. Though we have named it Coachman's Cottage it is in fact believed to have been the original bakehouse for the main house and the original bread oven is still in situ to the side of the wood
Coachman's can be found in a very peaceful situation on the edge of Monkleigh village and within easy walking distance of the Bell Inn which also serves food.
The cottage sleeps two adults with a spacious bedroom which has an antique double bed and dressing table as well as a built in wardrobe. A cot can be provided for infants as can a foldaway guest bed for a child. Adjacent to the bedroom is the bathroom with a full size bath, though a shower attachment is fitted the restricted headroom makes it's use for more than hair washing impractical.
Downstairs the there is a large combined lounge/kitchen/dining room with exposed beams. The under stair cupboard contains such items as a vacuum cleaner, ironing board and brooms etc. The kitchen area has recently been fully refurbished and has a modern built in electric cooker and hob, microwave oven and a very good selection of kitchen equipment. A freezer can be found in and adjacent building with a washing machine for Coachman's Cottage's exclusive use.
The wood burning stove in the living area should provide you with sufficient warmth whatever time of year you visit, additional wood is provided free of charge and can be found across the courtyard. Electric heaters are also provided throughout the cottage. The dining table and chairs seat two and on request we can supply a high chair.
All linen including pillows, quilts and towels are provided inclusive in the price, however you are requested to bring your own beach towels. A washing machine and a freezer are available adjacent to the cottage
for your use.
The house has extensive gardens of approximately 3 acres, plus a large wildlife garden with a large pond, an ideal spot to chill out and commune with nature. These are available to those occupying the cottage to enjoy. Garden furniture and a small barbecue are provided. Please note that these grounds are extensive and unfenced so children and pets will need supervision.
If you require we can arrange for a supermarket to deliver your groceries on arrival or if you wish to organise this the cottage's postcode is EX39 5JR.
STAR RATING: 3
SLEEPS: 2 + infant
Type of Property: Converted historic farm building in rural setting
Location: EX39 5JR
Heating: Wood burner and electric convectors
Outside: Extensive gardens and wildlife area
Facilities: Full size bath, Electric Cooker, Microwave, Freezer, Digital TV, Stereo, WiFi (on request)
Ideal for: Peace & Quiet, Walking, Cycling, Exploring the area
CONTACT US DIRECT
This cottage is adjacent to our own property and forms part of the traditional courtyard setting of original buildings to the main house. It is compact and has a wood burner making it a cosy hideaway spot for two. We hope to provide as much access information as possible here but if you have any questions do please call us.
We look forward to your visit.
· Enquiries/bookings can be made by email or phone.
· For an early check-in please contact us direct.
· Detailed directions with maps and pictures of the cottage are sent out with confirmation of booking to all our guests.
· Tesco and Sainsbury’s will deliver groceries to you if ordered on line. For this and your satellite navigation system, the postcode is EX39 5JR.
· The nearest train station is 13 miles away in Barnstaple with a rural bus link to Bideford/Torrington and then beyond.
· The nearest bus stop is in the village approx 500yds along the main road.
· This access statement is available on our website and in the Welcome pack in the cottage.
ARRIVAL and PARKING
· Approach is from the main road (A 388) up the original stone driveway.
· Turn left under the archway and into the cobbled yard. The cottage sign is directly in front of you.
· Parking is available directly in front of the cottage. There is no designated parking space but please park thoughtfully.
· This is the original cobbled yard and is VERY slippery when wet. Care should be taken at all times when in higher heels.
· We try and meet all our visitors at around 4.00pm with a Cream Tea.
MAIN ENTRANCE and GROUND FLOOR
· This cottage can be left open for your arrival by arrangement.
· There is also a key safe - the number is provided with booking conformation.
· External lighting at the front of the cottage.
· The front door is accessed over a small threshold into the carpeted living area.
· Coachman’s is open plan and level throughout.
· The stairs are carpeted and rise steeply taking a 180 degree turn to the first floor.
· Handrail on one side.
· The Welcome pack with all the details for this cottage is on the small chest.
· The bedroom features a double bed. There is some room for a cot or small guest bed by arrangement.
· Some limitation of headroom.
· Natural wood floor with rugs.
· There are no downstairs bathroom or toilet facilities.
· There is restricted headroom and consequently no shower.
· Bath with shower attachment.
· Electric shaver point and heated towel rail.
· Wooden floor.
· This is opposite the cottage with sinks and a washing machine.
· There is a line for drying under cover in the yard.
· There is no extra charge for the use of these facilities.
· There is a larger deep freeze in this area.
GROUNDS and GARDENS
· Our gardens and fields are large if a bit wild but are free for the use of our guests.
· The original walled garden and field with pond are available. The pond is unfenced.
· Pets are permitted at this property but there is no fenced area to let your dog roam unsupervised!
· We share this area with our neighbours and we ask our guests to strictly observe the boundaries set out.
· Wood for the wood burner is stored under the linhay and is free to our guests.
· We ask that you vacate the property by 10.00am.
· Keys to the property can be left by arrangement with us on the day of you departure or in the key safe.
· A Welcome pack is provided in all our properties.
· Manufacturer’s instructions and our tips to help you operate TV, DVD etc. are also provided.
· We provide information leaflets for local attractions.
· Battery operated smoke detector.
· There is poor mobile reception inside the cottage.
· We discourage smoking inside the cottage.